A Brief History Of Jersey City
Jersey City is the most populated city in the state of New Jersey, with the sole exception of Newark. Jersey City is Hudson County’s seat, as well as the biggest municipality within the county. The 2010 U.S. Census recorded the population of the city at 245,597, which was enough to put in the top 75 cities in the nation. It has likely grown since then, as the Population Estimates Program of the Census Bureau did a 2015 estimation of 264,290, which would indicate nearly 7 percent growth since the official 2010 census, and the most population growth of any town or city in the state of New Jersey. fb following here.
The municipality of Jersey City is considered part of the metropolitan area of New York. Its eastern boundaries are the Upper New York Bay and the Hudson River. Western boundaries include Newark Bay and the Hackensack River. Jersey City is a port of entry and has over twenty miles of waterfront. Combined with substantial rail connections, this city is an essential location for shipping, transportation, distribution, education, and manufacturing. It is part of the overall larger Port of New York and New Jersey.
Service and financial industries have the significant presence here, and there are rapid transit direct connections to the Manhattan borough of New York City. This has all added up to one of the country’s biggest centralized business districts as well as the fervent redevelopment of the waterfront of Jersey City.
Historical records show that the population actually peaked with the data recorded by the 1930 census, showing 316,715 people living there. Five decades of decline followed, with the population bottoming out in 1980 at 223,532. Every census then has shown growth between 3 and 5 percent over the previous one, although the 2020 census stands to smash records if the mid-decade estimates hold up.
Human habitation of the area that is now Jersey City predates European Colonization. A Native American collection of tribes known as the Lenape were in the area, although they are sometimes referred to as Delaware Indians. Henry Hudson anchored here in 1609 in his search for new routes to Eastern Asia. The area fell within the New Netherland Dutch province in the 1620s.
Jersey City has a number of surviving homes from the Colonial Era. The Van Wagenen House dates back to 1742, and the Van Forst Farmhouse traces its records of existence back to 1740. The Newkirk House beats both by fifty years, tracing back to the previous century in 1690.
The actual City of Jersey was not formally known until the New Jersey legislature incorporated the town in 1820. It was formed from partitions of Bergen Township within Bergen County. Reincorporation happened twice in 1829 and 1838 at which time it finally got the name of Jersey City and full independence from North Bergen. By 1840, Hudson County was formed.
The rest, as they say, is history. The area continued to thrive and grow for a while, seeing the decline for a half of a century following the Depression only to grow again in modern times.